Sports Day and End-of-Year Assembly
We look forward to a great day on Tuesday at the Knocknacarra-Salthill GAA Club, the same place where the assembly and potluck took place last December. There are sign-up sheets to get involved with set-up, clean-up or leading activities on the parent notice board. Please sign up!
Minister Seán Kyne will be attending a short assembly to present certificates to children in 1st and 2nd classes for their participation in bilingual wood-working sessions with Mairtín Davy Ó Coisdealbha. We will also sing some songs in Irish.
10.30 – 12.45
Parents will be leading 10 activities on the day. Please be you’re your child brings a water bottle, a snack and a hat as well as sunscreen because the day is promised to be warm and sunny.
The assembly for parents will include music and a review of the events of the year.
The potluck will follow. Parents are asked to bring something as explained below:
- Junior Infants – Dessert
- Senior Infants and 1st Class – Something savoury
- 2nd Class – Salad or fruit
Last Day of School
The last day of school will be Wednesday, 27th June. There will be an early dismissal on the 27th at 12.00. A reminder that Afterschool @ KETNS will be available from 12.00 on the final day. Full day camps will follow on the 28th and 29th June.
New Second-Level School
The Department of Education and Skills has asked schools to pass on the following message:
Dear parents, a new post-primary school will be established to serve the Galway City & Oranmore school planning areas from September 2019. Parents will have a say in who runs the new school and whether teaching will be through English or Irish. If you are resident in the school planning area and have children who will be starting post-primary school from 2019 to 2023, you may be eligible to express a preference. Please visit https://patronage.education.gov.ie for more information. The system will remain open until July 31st, 2018.
The Galway Educate Together Second Level Startup group, along with representatives from Educate Together, will hold a public meeting at 8pm on Monday 25th June, in the NUIG Lifecourse Building (ILAS) for parents interested in learning about the Educate Together model and ethos. All are welcome to attend in order to show support and to learn how Educate Together 2nd level schools (and the process to award patronage) work.
More information on how to vote for Educate Together as patron of Galway’s newest 2nd level school can be found at http://get2ls.org/vote/. Please be sure to vote once the competition is open, and please talk to friends and family who have children in other schools to encourage them to vote. If you’re wondering how you can help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and join GET2LS supporters on Facebook www.facebook.com/groups/GET2LS/.
First and Second Class School Tour
First and Second Class had a great day at the Burren Nature Sanctuary.
KETNS PTA Meeting Minutes – 20th June 2018 – 8:00pm at the School
Attended by: Matt, Ann, Maggie, Karolina, Clare, Vivienne, Trish, Celine, Aga Nowosad-Kelly, Aine, Gosia
Apologies: Karen, Bertrand, Diana
The meeting was chaired by Chairwoman Karolina
- Sports Day and Pot Luck
- Sports Day and Pot Luck will be on the 26th June in the Áras Bóthar na Trá.
- Junior Infants are asked to bring desserts.
- Senior Infants and First Class are asked to bring something savoury.
- Second Class are asked to bring a salad or a fruit salad.
- Please label all dishes that are donated to the Pot Luck so that people with dietary restrictions will be aware of the ingredients of the dish.
- We are looking for lots of volunteers to help out with Sports Day and for preparation and clean up.
- Teachers will escort the children in groups between the Sports Day Stations, but we need parents to volunteer to help lead the activities with the teachers at each of the following stations:
- Sports Quiz
- Triple Jump
- Tunnel Ball
- Balance Ball and Bat
- Goalie Shots
- Step Relay
- Target Throw
- Hurlers Relay
- Bucket and Sponge
- Please ensure that your child has water, sun cream and a hat, because we are expecting sunny weather.
- New School Building
- A tendering process has begun for the repairs to the building.
- Two to three weeks of work will commence at the end of July.
- We hope to start to move into the new building by the end of August, and we will be looking for volunteers to help with the move.
- A process of developing a co-location policy has begun.
- Educate Together Secondary School Galway
- There will be a public meeting on Monday night at 8:00pm in the ILAS Building (Institute for Lifecourse and Society), Upper Newcastle Road, NUI Galway. Your presence would be greatly appreciated.